Teaching kids to count is fine, but teaching them
what counts is best. ~ Bob Talbert


Monday, January 12, 2009

Miss Rumphius ~ Barbara Cooney

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths ~ Ephesians 4:29
I adore Miss Rumphius! We rowed this book in the Fall and it was wonderful, but it would be ideal as a Spring unit since there is a focus on planting seeds.


~ directed quail drawing, narration, booklet of various places that Miss Rumphius visits


~ multi-media art (watercolour paint and felt pen), ways to make the world more beautiful, letter to grandparents and their responses

Favourite Activity ~ Letter Writing:
In Miss Rumphius the grandfather tells his granddaughter stories about when he was young. We decided to reenact this storytelling through letter writing. My daughter copied a letter to 2 sets of grandparents and to 2 sets of great grandparents and asked for them to write her a letter about "when they were a kid". Her grandparents rose up to the occasion and wrote amazing letters about the good ole days.

Nothing can replace these letters. I was crying through several of them as I read about the memorable moments in my parents and grandparents lives ~ many moments that I had never been told about before.

The wonderful thing about this activity is that my daughter now has an incredible keepsake that goes beyond words. A keepsake that I hope will be treasured forever!

2 comments:

Harmony said...

Love this idea Jessica! There is a lot I don't know about my grandparents and we live so far from family, the boys would love getting to know them more!

Jessica Holder said...

Harmony - definitely read this book to your boys - not just for the granparent relationship but also because Miss Rumphius makes the world more beautiful by planting lupine seeds (an East Coast favorite I believe). :)