Teaching kids to count is fine, but teaching them
what counts is best. ~ Bob Talbert


Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Living to Learn or Learning to Live?

Part of my philosophy of homeschooling is to live to learn. Life is saturated with learning opportunities and if we grab hold of these opportunities our minds are broaden, our hearts are opened, and we live more abundantly. The more we experience life, the more knowledge and wisdom we acquire.

Today my children and I read a book together and they discovered what the word "basking" means. Last week we made "I am Special" books and my 2 year old (almost 3) wanted to write her name on her book. She did - for the first time! Yesterday we learned that cream of tartar is the magic ingredient to make "the best" play dough. And recently my oldest learned how to float, glide and swim during her swimming lessons. We didn't plan to learn these things, but together we are taking hold of life's opportunities and as a result, learning.

Here's that fabulous play dough recipe:

1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 tablespoon oil

Cook ingredients on medium heat until they become formed. Have fun!

0 comments: