Teaching kids to count is fine, but teaching them
what counts is best. ~ Bob Talbert


Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Little More on Faith and Character

As a mom, I have been a "home educator" since the moment my firstborn came into this world. It started off with the Baby Einstein books and the Discovery Toys stacking cups. Then crayons, construction paper, building blocks and dress up clothes got added to the repertoire. As my daughter grew older activity bags, ABC's and counting everything became part of her learning routine.

My daughter was getting "educated". - At least according to society's standards.

The problem with this type of education began to arise when I started to ask myself:

If I teach my child to count, but not how to be kind, then what have I taught her?

If I teach her all of her letter sounds, but not how to love, then what have I taught her?

If I teach her how to write neat little messages, but not how to be self-controlled, then what have I taught her?

Amidst all of her "education" I wondered how is her faith and character developing? Bedtime prayers and Bible stories, Sunday school and Veggie Tales are all important in her spiritual growth, but is the realness of God evident in her daily life? Did she come to the end of the day without being reminded that she is "fearfully and wonderfully made"? Did she hear me thank God for the promise of the rainbow after the rain stopped? Did I choose to punish rather than to discipline when she disobeyed?

Recently I'm feeling challenged to deschool myself. Maybe it's time to put away the magnet alphabet, close the writing practice booklet, and open my eyes to the world God's created. Maybe it's time to start focusing a little less on the temporal and a lot more on the eternal. I don't want too many days to end without striving to love the LORD our God with all of our hearts, and souls and strength. I don't want too many days being wasted.

0 comments: